The schedule for the Fall 2015 A Bite of Learning series has been finalized! We’re looking forward to a number of great speakers. Two of our faculty will be presenters this semester: Peter Saeta will talk about his experiences using Evernote to create lab notebooks and Kash Gokli will present on the use of 3D technology in his teaching and research.
Professor Alex Juhasz from Pitzer College and Ashley Sanders from Honnold Library will be talking about the Mellon Digital Humanities grant and the work that Claremont faculty have been doing with support from the grant.
We also have two presenters from outside Claremont this semester. Daniel Johnson and Mike Barrameda from Workday will discuss the technology behind the Workday products. And we will also be hearing from Alan Craig from XSEDE (Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment). XSEDE is a shared supercomputing environment funded by the NSF to provide high performance computing resources to faculty all over the country. Several HMC faculty have been using XSEDE resources in their research and teaching. Alan Craig will be presenting on a new initiative to support the humanities.
We’ll be meeting in the Aviation Room in the Hoch-Shanahan Dining Commons at 12:15 p.m. to give people time to get their lunches. So please join us for some great presentations and discussion. A brief schedule is below:
- Sep. 21 – What is DH? And What is it Doing at The Claremont Colleges? by Alex Juhasz (Pitzer College) and Ashley Sanders (Honnold Library)
- Sep. 29 – XSEDE for Humanities Computing by Alan Craig (XSEDE)
- Oct. 27 – Workday: Discover the Company, Technology and our Impact on Higher Education by Daniel Johnson and Mike Barrameda (Workday)
- Nov. 30 – Keeping a Lab Notebook in Evernote (HMC Physics)
- Dec. 9 – Using 3D Printing Technology in Teaching and Research (HMC Engineering)
We usually videorecord the presentations for those who couldn’t attend. You can find recordings from last semester on the Bite of Learning web page at http://www.hmc.edu/bol. You can also Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ABiteofLearning.