This summer the Pomona IT staff will be upgrading the consortial Sakai server to version 2.9. We are currently running version 2.8. The Sakai Administration Team will be testing version 2.9 over the summer, with a tentative upgrade date of August 12, 2014. More information on how long Sakai will be down during the upgrade will be available as we get closer to the upgrade date.
Some important dates to keep in mind:
- April 29, 2014: Summer 2014 and Fall 2014 5C course sites created, but not populated with faculty and staff. Faculty can request that they be added manually to a site by contacting the Help Desk with the name and section number of the course.
- May 16, 2014: Summer 2014 5C course sites populated with faculty and students.
- June 10, 2014: Spring 2014 course sites unpublished. Students can no longer see these sites, but faculty still have access.
- August 12, 2014: Upgrade to Sakai 2.9. Sakai will most likely be unavailable for some amount of time. More information will be available as we approach this date.
- August 19, 2014: Fall 2014 5C course sites will be populated with faculty and students.
The release notes tell us that “Version 2.9 of Sakai contains significant performance improvements, updated technical infrastructure, hundreds of bug fixes (over 600 bug fixes and over 20 security improvements), and it sports a new, updated look and feel, including smoother navigation, with a new neo-portal skin. Significant features have been added to the Resources, Gradebook, and Section Info tools in core Sakai. Major additions and improvements have been made to the “Indies,” including Lessons, which is now turned on by default, Samigo Test & Quizzes, Profile 2, Forums and Messages.”